The Australian Health Promotion Association is the only professional association specifically for people interested or involved in the practice, policy, research and study of health promotion.
- To support the professional development of members, facilitating knowledge exchange through the provision of high quality publications and opportunities to network and build knowledge
- To contribute to discussion, debate and decision-making on health promotion policy, practice and research and advocate for evidence-informed approaches
- To make recommendations with respect to the standards and practice of health promotion as well as the training of health promotion practitioners.
Since its incorporation in 1990, the Australian Health Promotion Association has grown and developed and is recognised as an integral and vital component of the public health sector.
At the national level, the Health Promotion Association's major activities include:
- The Australian Health Promotion Association National Conference usually held annually and hosted by the Association branches on rotation. In 2008 the inaugural Population Health Congress was held and this now takes place every third year in collaboration with the Public Health Association of Australia, the Australian Epidemiological Association of Australia and the Australian Faculty of Public Health Medicine
- The Health Promotion Journal of Australia (HPJA) publishing high quality articles on a wide range of health promotion topics - Read more about the Journal
- Australian Health Promotion Association information updates including Board Communiques - See the publications
- Advocacy on a broad range of issues including federal budgets, support for national health promotion related organisations, specific issues such as alcohol. We developed the Why it makes sense to invest in health promotion infographic in the lead up to the 2013 federal election
- An integrated website providing up-to-date professional, industry and membership information
- A national email broadcast providing members with the latest employment opportunities and events information.